Butts Happen

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

give judy my notice

Most of this project seemed to involve sitting around and thinking. I saw that Stefan Sagmeister's art seemed to involve a lot of written messages, and the ones that interested me the most were those that used nature as a canvas. So I took note of potential messages as well as general elements of his art. All of his messages seemed to be positive ones, which gave me the idea of using a hand in the 'thumbs up' position and writing on it. This was my main idea for a while.



This was the picture I wanted to use:
I'd had it worked out in my notes, "everybody" would go on the thumb, "who is" on the first finger, then "honest", "is", "interesting", and probably "Stefan Sagmeister" on the wrist.

Then, though, I stumbled on this picture...

And remembered having seen it earlier. It had stuck with me. The act of vandalizing nature to get across a positive message captured my attention very successfully. I wanted to try something similar.

After a quick survey of my house, I found an old brown leaf I'd been hoarding since fall, a thick marker, and some dried roses my mom gathers from the garden. I had all the supplies I needed, and I knew which message would be short enough not to be difficult to read.


I wrote it on one side of the leaf at first, but it looked lumpy and gross. The composition seemed a little stupid too. But it was just the first try.


I figured out the lighting I wanted to use next. (Done by just removing the flash and turning on the track lighting overhead.) Still didn't like the arrangement, though.


Flipped the leaf over and tried again, and this time was happier with the layout of the writing. The composition is a little better, too.


Added some more stuff, alright! But the angle was a little too straight foward.


And then I was done!



Attempt two in Illustrator coming soon.

1 Comments:

At April 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent process lis! I hope this project is going well for you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home